Tatsat Chronicle Magazine

The State of Homelessness in United States

October 1, 2021
City officials have begun what they are calling a slow and methodical clean-up and removal of a large homeless encampment along the Santa Ana River Trail in Anaheim, California, U.S., January 22, 2018. REUTERS/Mike Blake - RC113659B920

Here’s a quick rundown of the present situation of the homeless in the United States

Although the total number of homeless people climbed marginally from 2016 in United States, the rate per 10,000 people is at its lowest level on record. This is due to the fact that total population increase is surpassing homelessness rise. Individual state rates of homelessness ranged from 110 and 51 percent in the District of Columbia (D.C.) and Hawaii, respectively, to 5 percent in Mississippi.

At the time of the point-in-time count in 2017, the vast majority of the homeless population (360,867 persons) was housed in some type of shelter or temporary accommodation. Around 34% (192,875 individuals) resided in an area that was not intended for human habitation, such as a roadway or an abandoned structure. Single people accounted for 66.7 percent (369,081 people) of all homeless people, with families accounting for the remaining 33.3 percent (184,661 adults and children). Further investigation revealed that 7.2 percent (40,056) were veterans, and 7.4% were unaccompanied minors and young adults (40,799 children and young adults).

Homelessness grew by 0.7 percent in the United States from 2016 to 2017. Unaccompanied children and young adults (14.3 percent rise), those suffering chronic homelessness (12.2% increase), and people facing unsheltered homelessness (12.2% increase) had the highest increases (9.4 percent increase). The number of people living in homeless households declined by 5.2 percent.

Between 2007 and 2017, the number of people experiencing homelessness in the United States fell overall, as well as in each of the major categories of homelessness. Overall, there was a 14.4% drop in homelessness. Veterans (34.3%), people facing chronic homelessness (27.4%), and people living in unsheltered settings have seen the most substantial reductions in homelessness (24.6 percent). Overall homelessness decreased in 30 states and Washington, D.C., while it increased in 20 states. Georgia had the biggest decrease in homelessness, with 2,735 persons, and Massachusetts had the smallest decline, with 2,043 people. California saw the most significant increase, with 16,136 more persons suffering homelessness. The second-largest rise was observed in New York, with 3,151 people.