Tatsat Chronicle Magazine

CSE India Launches Plastic Waste Management Training Programme

The global waste management market, estimated at $400-$1,600 billion in 2020-21, is expected to reach $700-$2,483 billion by 2030. 
January 17, 2022

The Centre for Science and the Environment (CSE), which works to develop policies for sustainable waste management, has started a weekly online waste management training programme. The program is based on CSE identification of the need to adopt efficient resource management systems.

The candidates who wish to pursue the course can apply online, at https://www.cseindia.org. E-Certificates will be awarded to all participants who complete the course successfully The registration process has started and will end on January 25, 2022. The course fee is ₹3,000 for Indian participants and $75 for foreign participants.

The curriculum is designed to enhance the overall understanding of plastics and plastic waste management, its chemical composition, classification and legislation on plastics in India.

Program Objectives

The course will cover all the essential aspects of plastics and plastic waste management.

  • Understanding plastics and plastic waste, including chemical composition, classification and identification of plastics
  • What is the global evidence and data on plastics?
  • Legislation on plastics in India, and recent amendments in policy l SBM 2.0 mandate on plastics
  • Plastic-conscious living

Who Can Take Admission

  • Waste management practitioners
  • Urban local bodies
  • Academicians
  • Students
  • NGOs

In 2012, the world generated 1.3 billion tonnes of municipal solid waste per year. According to a 2018 World Bank report, this number is set to hit 3.4 billion tonnes by 2050. To meet this demand, the global waste management market – which was estimated at $400 billion $1,600 billion in 2020-2021 – is expected to reach $700-$2,483 billion by 2030.  More than 50 percent of the bags produced for single-use packaging end up in municipal solid waste streams. Globally, only 9% of all produced plastics are recycled; about 12 per cent are burned. The rest is easily discarded, and most of these bags end up polluting our environment — our land, our water, and our air.

Also Read: IGNOU Launches MA Programme in CSR, Registration Ends on Jan 31

According to the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB), India produces over 25,000 tonnes of plastic waste every day. Reportedly, India’s plastic recycling rate is 60 per cent. The remaining 40 percent will end up in the environment.