Tatsat Chronicle Magazine

10 Crore Unorganised Workers Registered on e-Shram in Less Than 100 Days

December 3, 2021

The e-Shram portal, the National Database of Unorganised Workers (UWs), has crossed the mark of ten crore registrations. On this landmark, Prime Minister Narendra Modi in a tweet acknowledged that the strength of crores of workers and labourers of the country is becoming the cornerstone of New India.

Ministry of Labour and Employment launched the e-Shram portal for creating a national database of UWs, including construction, migrant, gig and platform workers, street vendors, domestic workers and agriculture workers. The portal, seeded with Aadhar, will be used to deliver all social security benefits of the union and state governments to the informal sector workers. All eligible registered workers on the e-Shram portal get an accidental insurance cover of Rs.2 lakh under Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana from the date of issue of policy.

The registration facilities of e-Shram are made available at the doorstep of the unorganised worker. Common Service Centres (CSCs) are working as enrolment agencies for the portal. State governments have also linked over 17,337 State Seva Kendras (SSKs) with the e-Shram portal to extend the outreach of the registration facility. The workers also have the facility to self-register on the portal. Around 81 per cent of registration is being done by CSC and SSKs and the remaining 19 per cent is done through self-registration.

Nearly 48 per cent of the registered workers are male and 52per cent of registered workers are female. Transgender persons are also being registered on the e-Shram portal. So far, 2,380 transgender persons have been registered on the e-Shram. Around 61 per cent of registered workers belong to the 18-40 years of age group, while nearly 22 per cent are in the age group of 40-50 years.